Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Sandwich Substitutes

Lets start this blog off by breaking bread together. One of my all time favorite things to eat is a yummy sandwich. I wanted to find a clean and healthy way to keep my sandwich addiction without some of the main components having no nutritional value. I wanted to find bread that wasn't loaded with bad carbs, bleached flour, and refined sugar. I have tried many different wheat breads and Rudis organic bakery is my absolute favorite brand. It is lite and refreshing. You can find it at your local Hy-Vee in the health market section. Not only is their bread organic but they offer gluten free products as well as vegan. For all my fellow health-nuts out there I reccomend you check out their website Rudis Organic and explore their products! Good bread is critical for a good sandwich.

After saying goodbye to the bad bread the next step was getting rid of fatty mayonaise. I experimented with hummus and avocado substituting for other sandwich condiments. It was love at first bite. My favorite hummus is the Sabra roasted red pepper flavor. I spread it on one piece of the bread and put avocado on the other. Since avocados are not always in season and tend to go bad really quickly, I buy Wholly Guacamole packets to use instead. You can purchase these packets and hummus at any grocery store.

Switching to these healthy substitutes now doesn't defeat the nutrients of the protein and vegetables I put on my sandwiches. Pairing mayonaise and bleached flour with chicken, spinach, and tomatoes makes about as much sense as getting your car washed in a snow storm, it just doesnt!


No comments:

Post a Comment